Interpreting data has always been an important part of business and the decision-making process but, over the past few years, it’s become increasingly more complex to synthesize data inputs and then make sense of it all. Implementing tools such as Acumatica and Sage ERP is the first step toward harnessing the incredible power of data. You already know that data can be used to form business decisions and predict trends, as well as increase productivity, improve operational efficiencies, and boost sales.
Yet, some companies are struggling to use all the data now available to them. If you’re in this boat, you’re not alone. Find out what others are facing when it comes to using business intelligence data, why these challenges occur, and how best to overcome them.
The Right Way to Work with Business Intelligence Data
Congratulations, after years of struggling to run reports and access business intelligence data, you now have access to a daily flow of live data that gives you more information than you’d ever thought possible. This is a big step forward for your business. Unfortunately, some things may get in the way of using your business intelligence data effectively.
- Multiple stakeholders: Now that the silos are broken down, you may find that both opportunities and problems have multiple stakeholders. It’s no longer one person’s job; many different people need to be involved in meetings and tasks related to using opportunities or fixing problems. That’s where things get bogged down. The BI data helps people identify these areas, but it may take a while to get people to cooperate and understand that you expect them to work together rather than independently. You may wish to meet with your managers and ask about any bottlenecks, or form teams to look into opportunities together. Encourage teamwork and group participation.
- Time constraints: BI reports may show great opportunities, but teams still need to tackle their regular work first. New opportunities may be pushed to the back burner until employees feel they can tackle them, only to find that those times never actually come. Try to free up time for at least a few people from each department to use the findings from BI data. Otherwise, people may not be able to use the findings in the BI data to the best of their ability.
- Confusing findings: Business intelligence data only report the facts. The findings derived from those facts may be inaccurate or incomplete. Such findings can be confusing or contradictory to what staff expect or believe they know about your business. The result can be a stalemate simply because the employees don’t know how to handle the confusion or contradictions. In such cases, encouraging managers to discuss contradictions may uncover the source or yield new insights. Often, contradictions are between user expectations and reality, not necessarily among different data elements. Discussion and different perspectives among managers may shed light on confusing data to clarify it.
General Tips to Help Use Business Intelligence Data Effectively
Business intelligence systems for Acumatica, and Sage 100 offer powerful tools for decision making. In order for them to perform as expected, you’ll need to provide training and guidance for the most effective use and results.
- Provide plenty of training on how to use your new BI tool, including how to read and interpret data. This can be hands-on workshops as well as peer-to-peer training.
- Set aside time for discussion.
- Create problem-solving teams.
- Make sure managers know it’s best to work together; silos are not effective in the BI environment.
- Establish clear objectives for using BI data.
Using business intelligence data effectively offers your company so much more than simply having raw data. Leveraged correctly, it can make your company more competitive and profitable. With a little planning and encouragement, your team will be able to easily get the most from your BI software.
Leverage Accounting Systems Incorporated for Your New BI
One way to ensure the success of your new BI software is to connect it to the right data and the right partners. Accounting Systems Incorporates (ASI) leverages both Sage and Acumatica Authorized Partnerships, allowing us to recommend the best solutions to help your business accelerate. With help from planning to go-live to on-going support, ASI is committed to providing the best business software solutions and support. Get in touch and start improving your business software today.